Pages

Saturday, July 8, 2017

Summer Book Study #launchbook Week 3 @terryheick

Questions for this week:

Chapter 4--

  1. Thinking of the last lesson/unit you taught try answering the questions listed at the end of the chapter. What did you learn of your awareness of your classroom?
  2. How have you been able to encourage your students to tap into their awareness? Did you try any strategies in LAUNCH? If so, how was it? If not, what did you do?


Chapter 5--

  1. How have you encouraged your students to wonder?
  2. How do you help students ask better questions? Have you tried any of the strategies in the chapter?

As this is summer, it would be a stretch to remember the last lesson I taught in early May. But, the end of chapter questions asked about students' attitudes, commitment to the project/activity (reason), if students are creating their own measures for achievement, and if they are reflecting on that. I will say that for my Photoshop class, I do ask students to share their finished work on their blog and to reflect on work, indicating how pleased they are and what they wish was better. I don't grade these, but I think it's important to reflect. However, I don't know about their attitude towards this process (they like to learn the content but they don't like writing/reflecting). I don't think most of them really appreciate that piece. :)

To promote more "awareness" I guess I should just ask the students for their ideas! I ask for feedback and ideas on projects, but I am not sure they will go for some big "social awareness" Photoshop project. Most want to learn how to put themselves in a picture with a celebrity and it look real. As a business teacher, I do try to incorporate business concepts into our learning, but probably not social awareness if I am being honest.

I don't know that I've completely encouraged students to wonder... I mean, teaching Web Design coding doesn't allow much wonderment when they are learning linear coding. Same with my Microsoft Office class. Sadly, many of those classes direct more towards industry certification and that is more cut and dry. I guess that's an area I need to work on.

One area I'd like to improve on is questioning.

As always, I end up chasing a topic online and this week I focused on getting students to ask better questions. I ran across a great article from Terry Heick with tips and this infographic:


No comments:

Post a Comment