Pages

Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Learning with YouTube Day 26: Simple Ice-Breaker That Builds Community @markcollard ‏ #busedu #31daysofPD #personalizedPD

As I had a full day of sessions to attend and three presentations to give at Missouri Business Education Association conference, I am worn out tonight barely squeezing in my YouTube PD time before midnight! As it is, I decided to pursue ideas for icebreakers or team activities I might be able to try the first week of school. I landed on a video by Mark Collard, founder of PlayMeo. He demonstrates an interesting ice breaker that he calls Making Connections.

You can read the detailed description of the game here. Be sure to watch how he executes the activity in the video below! In a nutshell someone shares something they are/do and then anyone in the room who has that in common will come up and connect arms with that person (but only one person at a time can connect; note that he doesn't tell them that in advance). So, I might say, "I love horror movies" and someone in the room can come over (or run over!) and connect to me. The goal is to get the entire room connected into the circle. And, he encourages saying your name so people can learn names.

Simple, easy, effective. Check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment