Pages

Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Learning with YouTube Day 5: What Makes a Good Teacher Great? #busedu #31daysofPD #personalizedPD @AzulTerronez


For Day 5 of my summer #personalizedPD effort, I selected What Makes a Good Teacher Great? by Azul Terronez from TEDxSantoDomingo.

In this talk, a common theme emerged throughout--the power of LISTENING. He surveyed many students and reviewed their feedback regarding what makes a teacher great. Among them, these themes emerged:


  1. A great teacher eats apples. He explained that this moreso meant the teacher was open to receiving a gift from students (but I'd prefer Peanut Butter M&Ms...lol).  
  2. A great teacher is chill. They are calm.
  3. A great teacher loves to TEACH and LEARN. Are we making sure students see us as learners, too?
  4. A good teacher isn't a teacher--they teach without the "rules" of the classroom. He discussed humorously how much different riding a bike would be if we learned it in school. :)
  5. A good teacher understands that students have a life outside of school. 
  6. A good teacher sings... takes risks, humbles themselves. 
  7. Overwhelmingly, though, a great teacher listens. 
As I teach high school, I don't think I've ever been offered an apple but regarding the rest of these tips, I do try to show my love of both teaching and learning. I attend conferences and come back and share with the students or often times, during a big computer project, I will also complete a project when I am not helping them and they can see my thought process on the big screen in the room. And, I do try to work with students with their busy schedules. Sadly, for most students, I do love to sing! ha! But, I am going to make a better effort to really listen this year.


No comments:

Post a Comment