Pages

Monday, July 17, 2017

Learning with YouTube Day 17: Finally Equal? #busedu #31daysofPD #personalizedPD

Today, I didn't choose a TED Talk. Rather, I accidentally ran across this interesting story and subsequent video that I think any technology teacher can use in the classroom!

In looking for spreadsheet activities (seriously, that's how I magically got here!) today, I found someone who mentioned an old story (from 1961!) called Harrison Bergeron that has a video adaptation posted on YouTube (or you can order the DVD free from Izzit). In the words of someone who posted this video version--called 2081 (it's nearly word for word of the text for the first two pages from Harrison Bergeron and then it is different from the short story)-- "2081 depicts a dystopian future in which, thanks to the 212th Amendment to the Constitution and the unceasing vigilance of the United States Handicapper General, everyone is "finally equal...." The strong wear weights, the beautiful wear masks and the intelligent wear earpieces that fire off loud noises to keep them from taking unfair advantage of their brains."

The video is nearly 27 minutes long (reading the actual short story would not take that long) but a really interesting watch. This person essentially rebels against the forced disabilities of society to make everyone equal and shows the world how beautiful a world with differences can be. But, it also brings about conversation about how technology could be used to leverage such an initiative.

I absolutely loved it. There is a fabulous teaching guide at Izzit (if you join, free) that has discussion questions (namely for LA or Social Studies, but you can pick and choose).  Also, if you wanted them to read it, you can let them listen to the audiobook while they follow along online (less than 14 minutes long).

I'm just going to end with a quote (from the teacher's guide) from Aristotle. I think it's interesting given some of the one size fits all education quandaries. Just food for thought:

 “The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal”



This is probably a super old thing I should have known about... but I didn't. The short story is quite old, so I am sure some students have read it in a Social Studies or English class at some point. If I was a Social Studies teacher, I would have them read it! But, the video is different and probably an interesting talking point for a technology class! Here is a panel discussion about it from some literary folks as well as a curriculum guide. It doesn't really address the technology, but the philosophy. I still think if we get students thinking and talking that it would still be worth it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment