Pages

Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Learning with YouTube Day 25: 5 Best Tips for Logo Design @Will_Paterson10 #busedu #31daysofPD #personalizedPD

In keeping with my "lists theme" this week, I reviewed the video 5 Best Tips for Logo Design with Logo Designer Will Paterson. This isn't on his channel, but he does have a great YouTube channel as well. There are some great tips here and I'll give you the rundown. These are some great tips for sharing with students in graphic design classes... they tend to just want to "go in there and do it" and not plan.
  1. Sketch on paper first. You have more creative freedom on paper, even if you can't draw. My students fight me on this, but when doing logo design, I often have them to sketch out ideas and tell them that no idea is a dumb idea. Brainstorming is key to creativity. 
  2. Design in black and white first. He suggested color is key to branding, not the logo itself. Worry about the color after the design. Great point! I don't typically do this, but I will for here on out. I think it's important that a design work in multiple media, and starting black and white is a great way to accomplish that. 
  3. Don't expect to get it the first time. Though we want it now, these things take time. It's a trial and error process. Rough sketches are fine. 
  4.  Hmm... he said 5 tips, but I am not sure I found point 4... :)  Maybe spend time getting inspiration from other sources? Will, what was the fourth one?  I am going crazy!
  5. Change your routine.  We often can hit a creative block or just can't move past frustration. He suggested changing your routine that day to try to get yourself thinking a different perspective (having lunch elsewhere, work in a different environment, take a walk, etc.).  I would love to come up with a fun "brain break" for my students when they are struggling to create. I've heard bouncing balls and things can be helpful?
NOTE: Will has a series on this channel where he critique's logos from other people. That might be a great watch for your students before they create logos, both to see ideas and to get an idea of the good and bad of logo design.



No comments:

Post a Comment