Pages

Sunday, July 9, 2017

Learning with YouTube Day 9: 365 Ways to Unlock Creativity #busedu #31daysofPD #personalizedPD @KenHughesIE

For today, I watched another TED Talk-- Time bending -- 365 ways to unlock creativity and innovation by Ken Hughes at TEDx University of Nicosia.

The title of this talk caught my eye... 365 ways to do anything sounded like a lot to try to draw!  But, here's my graphic and then I will give you my quick version overview:

Essentially, a few year ago, Ken Hughes  (a European consumer and shopper behaviorist) decided he would experiment daily. Try something new. Do something he'd never done before every single day for a year. Some days were big things and some were small. He wrote down each day and committed to follow through. In doing so, he became more creative and he believes it was because he was more open to life and looking for more opportunities. To name a few, he-- got a tattoo, cut his daughter's hair, ran a half marathon, rolled naked in the snow, shopped in a towel, did a Zumba class, decorated his hotel room for Halloween, walked on fire, helped birth a newborn lamb, held a tarantula... and many more!

He asserts that becoming more creative and open is not something a business can "institute" but rather that it starts with the individual. And, one must adopt this as a philosophy; it has to last.

He ended with the phrase--"The world is a playground. Step up and play!"

As I have already committed to blogging for 30 days, I am not sure I am ready for a 365 day commitment (I have done 30 day workouts or read the Bible every day before!) but I love the idea of this. Making "play" a habit, saying yes more, looking for more ways to try something new and change your perspective... it all sounds great. I think I might challenge one of my classes this fall to do this very thing-- for a week. Five days. Make a list and commit to trying new things for a week.

Side note: Ken has a great blog with some interesting business content for my business teacher friends. Check out his post about Generation Z. Good stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment