Pages

Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Some Free Microsoft PD Time

Yeah, so I got Google Certified the other day and since decided to see about Microsoft opportunities as I teach a Microsoft Office course at my school.

I ran across the Microsoft Educator Network, joined, and started working through a Teaching with Technology module. The Teaching with Technology (TwT) curriculum is designed to help educators understand how Information and Communication Technology (ICT) can enhance the teaching and learning experience and enable students to acquire 21st century skills. Among many benefits, Teaching with Technology is free, aligned with the UNESCO ICT Competency Framework for Teachers, and self-paced (log back on at any time to pick up where you left off).

I worked through the self-assessment and it identified that I'm pretty savvy. It pushed out only one curriculum module that I needed to complete, which was Selecting ICT Resources for Curriculum. I found that to be funny since I think I'm pretty good at that, but apparently I didn't score high in that area. Nonetheless, the module has been interesting so far. I did Unit 1.

This really went along with much of my summer PD reading.  The module was heavy on the importance of starting with clear learning objectives when deciding to integrate technology and to use the tool to enhance teaching and learning rather than starting with the tool and trying to figure out how to use it. I've noticed many teachers struggle with this; they find a cool tool and just want to use it without the use being directed at student learning objectives.  Then, after applying a tool in a way that enhances 21st century skills (collaboration, critical thinking, creativity) that support the curriculum, review the decision for mismatches. Make sure students are actually benefitting from the technology tool.

Great advice, of course!

In my pursuit of learning more about PD opportunities with Microsoft, I ran across two more interesting things.

  • Microsoft Innovative Educator Expert:  This is a program that looks interesting (and I love credentials). You have to apply and there are requirements, but I might think about doing it. MIE Experts will be selected by the regional Microsoft representative based on the quality of the responses to the self-nominations form, the level of innovation and use of Microsoft tools described in the learning activity and the level of detail in how becoming a part of the program will impact both teaching and student learning.
  • Microsoft Teacher Academy Online: They have some online short courses that are supposed to be about 3 hours each. Microsoft has published a set of new online courses called Microsoft Teacher Academies, which are available for free to teachers looking for training and professional development. The online courses are designed to empower educators with the ability to effectively integrate Microsoft's tools in teaching and learning. Courses help bring 21st century technology including Microsoft Office 365, Microsoft OneNote, Skype for Business, and OneDrive into classrooms.  I am trying OneDrive out since I haven't used it much. I'm a big Evernote user, and it seems much like it, but so far, the course is showing me how to create digital notebooks for classroom use. I'm intrigued. :)

1 comment: