Pages

Sunday, August 16, 2015

Gallery Walk for Classroom Procedures! #firstday

I'm sure you have heard of the Gallery Walk instructional strategy. This year, instead of talking for an hour or more, I decided to use this as a strategy for covering some of my first few days "things" in my classroom. I generally like to go over my classroom procedures, which are a big thing for me (thanks, Harry Wong!) and have students complete a notes sheet that they keep for reference all semester. Further, I have a class "map" that is on the back where they identify where the various things are in my classroom (handouts, passes, makeup work, where to turn in work, staplers, printers, cameras, extra pencils, etc.).

This year, I decided not to talk, other than informal conversations. I put on music, let them pick partners, and gave them the notes sheet and map sheet. To prepare the room, I printed my PowerPoint that I would typically go over and hung the slides up (in random order) all over the room. I also put more noticeable labels and arrows pointing to the items from the class map (and I'll leave those labels up all year, but not the slides).  So, they walked around freely and helped each other locate all the information, scavenger hunt style. Occasionally, I'd yell "freeze" and they had to go find someone they didn't know and introduce themselves. It worked pretty well. They were up and moving, engaged, and no zoning out while I talked and talked.

I think next semester, I might hide some "easter eggs" (as they call them) maybe in the form of QR codes or something with some fun information. It worked pretty well, though, and I didn't end the first week with a sore throat. WIN! :) Hope your first days were (or will be) great!

ADDED 8/17: Here is my PowerPoint, since a few of you asked!

2 comments:

  1. The first day powerpoint is not there. Do you have another link?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your first day powerpoint will not load. Can you please send link or file.

    ReplyDelete