Pages

Sunday, August 23, 2015

Learn Like a Pirate Reflection-- Do Projects IN CLASS!

This month, I have been reading Learn Like a Pirate and participating in a book study online through Facebook. It's been very interesting getting other viewpoints on the various topics, and the author is participating as well, so it's pretty neat.

In Chapter 6, he talks about Active Learning and how important creating experiences in the classroom can be. He references simulations, debates, fairs, PBL (learning THROUGH projects, not applying AFTER learning), using technology, and reader's theatre.

As I was perusing other blogs and processing what I read, I read this blog and loved her take on NOT sending projects home, but rather using class time to do it. As a classroom teacher AND a mom of two, I cannot agree more!

First, as a parent, I hate science fair projects, display board creations, etc. What happens is that my daughter is too tired so it gets put off to the weekend (usually, Sunday night and Hobby Lobby is closed on Sunday). Then, we have to go spend a bunch of money on something that isn't really "great" in my opinion, so I have to be super hands-on to micro-manage her. Of course, I realize, not all parents get that involved (or even care) but it annoys me for her to work on it in my house and it look terrible. Plus, who wants their kiddo to get a bad grade, right?

Second, as a teacher, if I were to assign projects that had to be completed at home, I would be concerned the student either 1) did not do the work or 2) did not learn through the work. I think I would rather they do it in my presence, ask me questions, get peer feedback and LEARN than go home and have mom do most of the work so it looks good. The learning should be the key, not how much money was sunk into the project.

If you are a big homework or a big "do projects at home" person, please consider this. :)  Active learning should be happening IN your classroom, not at home. Be a driving force for engagement at your school. They will have more fun and learn more (you might be tired and it might be chaotic, but it will be worth it!). Have a super rest of the weekend!

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree. Home projects are a waste of time as is homework.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Tonya. Through "Learn Like a PIRATE," I'm trying to encourage teachers to bring back things like the Science Fair, which is a great way for students to practice inquiry using the Scientific Method regarding their personal interests, but do it ALL IN SCHOOL!

    So many parents & teachers have said the words your wrote above: "I hate science fair projects, display board creations, etc." But the reality is, most people only hate it when it's done at home! When it's done completely in school like I advocate (and Jamie advocates on the blog you linked), it can be an AMAZING way for children to learn!

    Thanks for the blog post and for participating on the Facebook chat! :)

    ReplyDelete