Pages

Monday, October 17, 2016

Why This Teacher Won't Allow Personal Music and Earbuds... #meanteacher #busedu

One of the first things I go over with my students at the beginning of school are my class expectations. As a school, we have a fairly "open" cell phone policy. Students are allowed to use their phones between classes or if a teacher deems it necessary and appropriate in class. They walk down the halls talking to their parents or calling to check work schedules, and it's become pretty commonplace to see. Thus, many students tend to want to pop in the earbuds and escape to their own world, connected only to their phones. Not in my room.

Between classes, they aren't allowed to have earbuds in walking the halls (because we want them to hear the announcements made over the intercom between classes) and teachers can make up their own rules in their classrooms (some allow music during work time, etc.). But, as a computer teacher, I have students wrapped up in technology all the time. And, I play music every day (various genres and themes each day) so students aren't sitting in silence. However, no earbuds and personal music.

Why?

Do I care what music they are listening to? Nope.
Do I think they might be doing something inappropriate? Nope.

Do I want them to be able to hear me all the time? You bet.
Do I want them to be available to neighbor students who need help? Absolutely!
Do I want them to stay engaged, even during independent work time. YES.

That's my reasoning. If you have earbuds in, your neighbor is not likely to interrupt your jam to ask a question. Each student tends to gets tunnel vision, only worried about their own goals and concerns. And, in my world, we work together. I want students to ask neighbors before they ask me, and I expect students to help each other.

It's not uncommon in my room for 2 or 3 students to be up across the room, guiding a fellow student on how to do something they are confused about (and I have a 'hands off' rule, too, so they can't do the work, just provide oral assistance or point with their fingers!).  I identify quickly who my experts in the room are and just as quickly can identify those students who might be struggling.  And, they know I might ask them at any time to go help someone. Most are okay with it because it's just the way we do it.

And, I love the system. Kids can sit in their rooms at night doing math homework with those earbuds in. But, in my room, they're going to hang out with us, in my community, so people are free to help one another.

They might even learn to like it. I hand pick my teacher's aides based on those willing to get up and help others, and it has paid off in dividends not only to help me teach the class, but to empower other students to feel that they are indeed an important part of my well-oiled classroom machine.

2 comments:

  1. This is the system I had at my old school, but I am not only at a new school this year, but in a new state. I am having the hardest time getting my students to put their phones and earbuds away. Thank you for sharing, it has given me new hope that I can change their mind set.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am continually amazed by the amount of information available on this subject. What you presented was well researched and well worded in order to get your stand on this across to all your readers. forex signals

    ReplyDelete