Pages

Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Web Design Breakout EDU! Classroom fun today! #busedu

Today, we tried my Web Design Digital Breakout in my Web Design classes.  It went really well! They stayed very engaged, despite me letting them use their phones to look up information, scan QR codes, etc. I did decide to do groups of 2 (or you could choose to go solo) and they could only use one desktop computer, but phones were allowed.


I've done a few of these digital ones on my own and they are much harder than the one I created (and most of my students were able to breakout in the 40 minutes I gave... one group was not successful in one class and two groups had 3 out of 4 locks but were unsuccessful in the other class). I didn't have many "distractors" in the website and I provided hints occasionally as needed to help them move along. Most did really well with working through the frustration and getting through it, so I was very proud!

I'm working on a breakout for Photoshop class, so be looking for that in about a week! That's for next week in that class.

A few tips:

  • Be sure to double check all URLs; our school firewall blocked two of them, including a jigsaw puzzle site (for kid logins, not mine) and I had to scramble to get it unblocked. Fortunately, most could use their phones but not if hooked to school wi-fi. So, that was a snag.
  • Consider installing a QR code decoder to the computer/Chromebook. For my second class, I had them install QuickMark QR and it worked for most of them (you can right click to decode on a page if you don't have a phone to take a picture of the code). Some had an app on their phones, but not all. 
Fun stuff, and a great change of pace. I think my plan will be to do two a semester for each class for Web Design and Photoshop... and maybe expand later on for my other classes. I don't want it to be too commonplace for them or, once other teachers get excited about it, them to be doing them too many places and not enjoy them anymore.

Have you tried Breakout EDU in any of your classes? I can't decide if I want to do a "physical" hunt or not (with clues hidden in envelopes, etc.) as the setup is pretty time consuming and I feel like groups would have to be bigger.

8 comments:

  1. Nice post. I was checking constantly this blog and I am impressed! Extremely helpful information specially the last part I care for such info a lot. I was seeking this particular information for a very long time. Thank you and good luck. go to website

    ReplyDelete
  2. definitely be subscribing to your site. Keep up the good posts
    Herbal Incense

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spot on with this article, I really think this website needs more attention. I'll probably be back to read more, thanks for the info.
    office business

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic cleaning assistance prices could depend on many factors and can also vary wildly in accordance with your home. Regardless that method you select to determine the best deals for vacuuming services, invariably you should ask for the purpose of references not to mention contact such before hiring a precise house vacuuming company. home maids dubai

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for posting the useful information.
    Thewebnuts provide best Web designing classes, courses training institute in pune. It is the best web designing classes in pune, web designing courses in pune, web designing institute pune, web designing training institute pune, web design classes in pune, best web designing institute in Pune, web designing course & training in Pune & web designing training courses in Pune.
    web designing classes in pune
    web designing courses in pune

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice blog, i really appreciate your work . You have a deep knowledge of Web Design. Thanks for this informative article Keep Posting such stuff to help others.Best Web Design Agency in USA

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your work is very good and I appreciate you and hopping for some more informative posts. Thank you for sharing great information to us. best brand agencies

    ReplyDelete