Pages

Friday, October 21, 2016

My Thoughts on a Friday...Chromebooks initiative #busedu

Our school is undertaking an initiative, according to the most recent board meeting, to move to a 1-to-1 situation for students next year. Teachers were given Chromebooks this summer, and next fall (2017) all high school students will have the device as well. Obviously, this is being met with mixed feelings.

As a computer teacher, I'm used to technology. I am used to managing (micro-managing) the use of the internet in my room, monitoring what students are doing and whether they are on task, and trying to integrate technology in "non-tech" business classes in a useful way. But, many teachers are feeling overwhelmed. Another thing to learn. Another thing that won't work properly. Another reason to stop class because of something not working well. And, technology issues are way bigger than a broken pencil lead that you can walk 20 feet and fix immediately.

And, I get it. I do.

But, I encourage anyone doing something new in tech to just embrace it. Go ahead. Don't fight it or be afraid of it. Don't retire because it might be too hard. Don't just refuse to use it because you shouldn't have to learn yet another thing. Don't whine to the kids about how you won't be using it because you don't have time. Be positive.

I'm in a unique situation in that my daughter (who attends a different school) is on year 3 of having devices. She's used to it. I've been the parent who has to make sure her laptop is charging at night to take to school the next day. It was a change, but it's just how things are now. It's not a big deal. And, she'll tell you that not all teachers use it the same way and some very little.

But in a conversation with an intelligent high school student yesterday, I was reminded that they appreciate teachers who try to use technology. I use Canvas, our LMS, to deliver course content. That includes what we are doing each day, copies of materials, uploading work for grading, embedding videos, etc. If one misses my class, they can log in and know what they missed. They don't feel as "behind" when they return from a three day illness. I know I am preparing them for the type of course delivery they will have in college. And, that makes me happy.

An article in PC Magazine quoted George Eastman saying:

We can't be content. We are behind. These students have technology integrated into every facet of their life, but still have to book a computer lab to type an essay in LA. This is a GOOD change. It will not be without issues, but you have to take it in stride. Technology can and will fail. Students can and will be distracted. You can't control that.

You can control your attitude. And, your attitude is contagious.



1 comment:

  1. Peak Acting Studios is an acting school, to provide kids, teens and adults with quality acting classes.

    Source: http://www.peaktalentschoolofacting.com/workshops.html

    ReplyDelete