Pages

Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Web Design Errors... and Google Docs! #busedu #gafe

I have decided to assign, as a bellringer once a week, some "HTML tag" errors activities in my Web Design class. I wanted a way to really help them "train" their eyes to find errors even when they can't see what the page should look like (since many errors don't actually affect the way the page displays). So, my solution? GOOGLE DOCS!

I created an html file and took a screenshot of the codes. Then, I created a new Google Doc and inserting a DRAWING. Inside the drawing, I uploaded the image. Then, I shared that document to my students (changing EDIT to COPY at the end of the URL so they have to make a copy for their drive).

They got into their copy, double clicked the drawing, and then used the Scribble tool (hides under the line tool next to the arrow) and circled where they found errors.

After a reasonable amount of time, I shared the "answer key" for them to check their work. So, nice instant feedback to see if they were able to find all the errors (and I give them the number of errors so they can be motivated to find them all).

It really worked great in class today! Here's the document for you to see what they were doing and you can feel free to use it as well. Links are below it.


Source document for them to copy and edit-->
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1oQzW1I5CvQxdi1AKVvpphS1gC-OmMWAk3prEEaXn99s/copy

Answer key-->
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1b6Vl25unA3pDRQM97ua0-T15XevBnJkjhWMXQ0IMvyw/edit?usp=sharing 

No comments:

Post a Comment