Pages

Sunday, August 27, 2017

Back to School...How's it Going? #busedu

I saw this meme online today and it made me chuckle. Most of my classes are "pretty okay" so far this year. However, one class has already had to have a seating chart redo and I need to consider moving a few in one other class this week.



But, for the most part, it's been a good start! We are on Day 13 tomorrow and this will be, for the kiddos, a 4 day week followed by a 4 day weekend! (but teachers report Friday for PD)

As I mentioned on my Facebook page, I decided to revisit my cell phone policy this year. Essentially, I wanted to stop wasting my time constantly looking to catch kids (come on, you know they are on their phones even if you or your school have a policy against it... I know... my daughter was at a zero tolerance school last year) or dealing with discipline regarding phone use. So, my policy is this:

  • During lecture times or exams, phones must be on the computer tower, out of reach. 
  • During work times and bellringers, phones may be on the desktop. Light use is acceptable provided you are remaining on task and not taking more than about 30 seconds of "brain break" phone time. 
  • If your phone becomes a distraction, I will place it on your tower for the rest of the hour.
  • Finishing work early is not free phone time; free time is still subject to the "30 second rule" and should be used helping others, reading, homework, or reinforcing skills in my subject.
And.... I've only had to tell two students that they "were pushing the 30 second limit" so far. I feel like that's pretty good progress. Most of them have accepted the freedom and rarely interact with their phones. Some look at them periodically during work time. Some will say, "I need a quick 30" and pick them up briefly and then get right back to work. And, they are getting used to "tower time" when prompted. It works for me. And, it's finally not a headache that I felt I was constantly policing.

How's your year going so far? :) I'm already ready for Labor Day and a short little break, but it's been a good start!


No comments:

Post a Comment