Pages

Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Updating my Multimedia Curriculum... Gonna try Adobe Audition! #busedu

As I am starting school Thursday and will need to give a pre-test shortly thereafter, I am trying to nail down exactly what I intend to cover in Multimedia this year. My Multimedia class is a mix of mostly vector graphics, audio editing, video editing, and animation. They also maintain a blog.

Though I try to teach some free programs, with the "1 for 1" initiative (aka Chromebooks for everyone), I am having to move into more industry programs just because many other classes are starting to use the free media programs (such as Powtoon or Prezi) earlier in the game.

Why free? Well, I want students to learn how to "transfer" knowledge. For example, starting with Audacity, they will understand audio files, formats, waveforms, amplitude, etc. And, then when we move to an industry-based software, it will be easier to learn AND they still know a free way to do it at home if they have a computer. I'm not going to be concerned with my free software being Chromebook compatible this year, though. Most free audio and video Chromebook programs are barebones or limited.

So, my plan this year is to try:

  • Audio:  Audacity (free), Soundtrap (online and free, but I am buying a license to use the full version since it's like $250 for a year), and Adobe Audition CC. They will record a podcast with a partner (hopefully).
    **A few good tutorials I found today, since I just started playing with Audition this summer-- PDF Tutorial    YouTube Tutorial
  • Illustration:  I do some logo design work in this class every year and we create some lower thirds graphics to use in Premiere. I will begin with a free online vector program so they get use to a few tools, like Pathfinder and Pen tool. Then, we will use Adobe Illustrator CC. (NOTE: If you don't have Adobe, they have an open source vector program called Inkscape you could use)
  • Graphics: I usually start with something really simple, and will likely stick to that again this semester, such as Canva. I will also do a little bit with infographics using Infogram online. Then, we will do a very basic Photoshop unit (like 5 days; I want them to know how to cut out images so we can bring them into Premiere). We will create some blog and YouTube channel headers and such using Canva. 
  • Animation: I honestly don't have time for this, but I want to at least introduce Adobe Character Animator once they know how to edit characters in Illustrator. I think they will enjoy it. Last year, we did a Powtoon animation, but I will probably skip it with some of the new stuff we are doing. 
  • Video: Not sure if I will start with a free option. I used to do Windows Movie Maker but haven't since it was removed from Windows Essentials. There are some free ones out there, but I haven't downloaded and decided on one yet. Kdenlive is an open source editor I have dabbled with; I don't want "freeware" or anything trial or limited, so open source is the way to go. I'll with do that or use the YouTube built-in video editor. Then, I will move on to Adobe Premiere Pro CC. I plan to do a little bit of Adobe After Effects this year as well. But, I only have a semester, so it's a lot to cram in!
Well, what do you think of my plan? If you have any great ideas, please share! 

7 comments:

  1. Sounds really good. I teach high school Digital Media and another class, Graphic Design and illustration. I also teach Busunes Information Management and Business Law. We use Google and also have Adobe Cc. In digital media, I teach a unit on desktop publishing. The students create their own band. I have them start by using Google drawings to come up with a logo. They then create all marketing materials, CD cases, press pass, concert flyer, etc. Using Google docs and Google Drawings. They can also use Adobe, but Google is free. Also pixlr is very similar to Photoshop, the tools are the same. And it's free. I really want to add the audio and video this year. For animation, u start with having them make a flipbook and a project on the history of animation. Then they make a simple animation with PowerPoint. (Can use Google slides too) and then we animate in Photoshop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun stuff. My Multimedia is only a semester, so it's super hard to fit in what I'd like. I teach an entire course on Photoshop and another instructor teaches Desktop Publishing, so we have to be careful about redundancy. I use Pixlr in Web Design. I'm excited about my second go around this year with students maintaining original content for their blog. ;)

      Delete
  2. I am looking for a smart and creative blog, so I found your blog Which looks good. it is helpful for me. Thanks for the such kind of information business stories

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hii there
    Nice Blog
    Guys you can visit here to know more
    Jacob Mathew Marketing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adobe After Effects seemed daunting. I wonder how much you got through in that short unit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aftereffects is the way to go for animation for video/web. Once you get the hang of it, you can do some pretty cool stuff in about 6 min to advanced items in about 30 min. Video copilot.net or .com is a wonderful resource for creating intro titles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read your article such great informative to me. I am waiting for the your article.

    Regards,

    search engine optimization services in India | Web Design & Development Company in India

    ReplyDelete