Pages

Thursday, September 3, 2015

My name is Tonya and I have a rubber band problem. #busedu

This me and my rubber bands. Okay, yes, I buy rubber bands every time to go to Dollar Tree. Some people sew; I make rubber band balls. That one in my hand? We started it just last week and it's bigger than a baseball already. Probably 20 kids have helped make it.


I don't know why I started doing this, but it's become one of those things my students stop by to participate in. We'll grab a ball and just talk and start banding (is that a thing?). I create starters for students who go home and make their own. And, if you're wondering, my balls start as bands. There's nothing else in the middle! I've created bands at the end of wooden rods and created what's affectionately called my stick of power. It's just something I do.

And, this year, it has been my connection to a new student. I have a student who is autistic this year and we connected right away with this simple thing. He comes in wanting to band every day. And, if all of his work is done, I let him.

Sometimes, you just don't know what your strange obsessions will do for your classroom! :) Happy Thursday, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment