Pages

Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Called an Audible in Computer Apps yesterday... worked great! #busedu #cooplearning

Yesterday, we started Access 3 in my Advanced Computer Apps class. It's not an easy unit; we're getting deep into queries and calculated fields. Fun stuff.

We did two things instead of just diving in. First, I had them go online using the SAM program we have (through Cengage learning, Skills Assessment Manager) and to read the "intro" parts of each assigned task that goes along with our unit. We aren't using a textbook right now, so that's their textbook, so to speak. They have 40 "pages" or tasks that go with this unit. Anyway, I gave them a fill in the blank page and the answers came from those readings. Mind you, I take few grades and this is not for a grade, but rather to introduce them to the vernacular of this unit of Access. It's boring, though. And I thought... hmm... what could we do to make this better? With "worksheet" types of activities, it's very easy for students to just buddy up and share answers, which doesn't really help them learn it. Looking up helps in learning, but asking the neighbor what you got for number 4? Not so much.

So, I called an audible! I announced, as I looked through the readings, that "question #4 on your paper is from SAM #23!" Immediately, everyone zips over to 23 to read the paragraph. I thought, ok, cool. It's kind of like a game now. I threw out another number. Then, I told them that they could probably make friends if they threw out numbers as they found answers and that they had my permission to share numbers, but not answers. And, they did!

It actually worked really well. They were looking up, reading, shouting out page numbers, and people were finding the answers on their own. Gosh, it was almost too simple.

After about a half hour of that, I divided them into four groups and handed out a group activity. I talked briefly about what it means to "query" (defined: ask a question about something) and talked about how people use queries in databases. Then, they were assigned a fictional database with fields and they had to try to determine possible queries that could be run on that data. Here's one of the examples after the students finished brainstorming:


We haven't even got into Access yet to talk about queries, but I feel confident that when I do today, they will be able to understand what's going on. Between already hearing the terminology to doing this short 10 minute group activity, they hopefully will have a little more interest today. And, I can use examples they wrote down as I talk about queries today, so we'll have a connection (like the example above where they queries if the restaurant includes a playground... well, that's not a field so that's not a possible query on this data).

The lesson here? Don't be afraid to just try something new because what you are doing isn't working or is boring or just isn't cutting it by your standards. Sometimes, you will stumble on something that gets the entire class moving and involved. Oh, and GET OUT OF THAT TEXTBOOK! Find ways to pull them together or get them to share. 

Happy Wednesday, friends!

2 comments:

  1. Great blog, thanks for sharing. I see you use SAM, I requested a quote for my program and it was way out my puny little budget. After my classroom burned in 2013 I was given a donated set of Lawrence Press Microsoft Office 2010 and I HATE it! I use lessons I stumble across more than I do that book. I hope you don't mind me asking, are there any free (or very very cheap) Microsoft 2010 resources you would recommend? Thanks, Jaime Ball (Koshkonong,MO)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it's expensive. We've been fortunate to use Missouri 50/50 grant monies in the past to fund it (hope we still can with all the changes... I'll find out this year since it's my turn to write a grant again). GCF has some great resources for Microsoft Office 2010 and 2013 (and others, too, like Google Sheets, for example). I have my students use it as a reference sometimes.
    http://www.gcflearnfree.org/educators/curriculum-guides

    ReplyDelete