Pages

Saturday, July 20, 2019

Making a FUN Syllabus... sorta. :)

I've used numerous online tools to create my course syllabi over the years. Back in the day, we had to print them and send them home (I think we even had to get them signed!) but nowadays, a visual syllabus posted to a course website generally will suffice. But, they sure can be boring!

Over time, I have decided a syllabus should be an overview of the course, not a list of do's and don'ts (some of my college syllabi were 5 pages long!). I don't think it's a place for all the rules or a restatement of school policies. I think it should include some degree of expectations, what is needed for success in the course, and what the learning outcomes are. But, some schools may require specific information that you have to include.

In the past, I used Piktochart, and it's great. But, you are limited to 5 documents (so... I might have two accounts, one with my personal email and one with my school one).

This year, I picked up a new course (Business Law) so I decided to create a syllabus in Google Slides. You can check it out below or view it here (and feel free to File> Make a Copy and edit if you want to use it as a template for your own). I started by downloading a template from Showeet because they had some nice "techy" artwork.



I did use Piktochart to create an About Me page to post in the room and on my Canvas page for the students to learn more about me (I love their infographic options and clipart icon gallery that is built-in). I think it's important to give students some background information so they can better relate to me when school starts. Here it is (their site provides an embed code and I embed it on my class page like this, too):


I hope this is helpful!

1 comment:

  1. I really like this post! I love the about me page. I will use that to help my students understand my personality better. Thanks for always sharing!

    ReplyDelete