Pages

Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Going Fishing at School... icebreaker!

I'm knee deep in curriculum development today and ran across a "fun" little "go fish" activity from We Are Teachers. Go check it out there! You can even download a template and create your own. Here's mine:  (PDF)

I'm gonna go pick up some tree limbs (maybe.. or maybe I'll buy some sticks...lol), grab some string, get some magnets and let the kids get in groups and fish for questions. Students struggle making conversations, so my rule will be that you:


  1. Get in groups of 5 (I think that's a good size).
  2. Dump the fish in the sea (I had to decide whether I want to put them in something so it's more random or let them see the colors so they can somewhat pick the fish... decided on the latter so my shy people would feel some element of control over the questions). 
  3. Take turns fishing. After you fish, you read the question out loud and answer it. Then, at least two people in the group (you could make rules about who... like the person to the left and the right of you, for example) have to ask a follow-up question and you have to respond. 
Looking forward to seeing how this goes over and hoping no one gets "seasick."  :) he he

3 comments:

  1. You could get a cheapy kiddo pool to use for this - cute idea for an icebreaker but I teach in a small town so my kiddos already know EVERYTHING about each other so I'll have to figure out a way to put some other twist on this cute idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that sounds fun! I have classes that many don't know anyone (our high school is 1600 kiddos and many of my classes are mixed grades, so could be 9th grade or seniors). Maybe you could do one more story driven (tell about a time...) related to topics.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing this valuable information to our vision. You have posted a trust worthy blog keep sharing.

    Adding Exponents
    fiu canvas
    interval notation
    Area of a Hexagon


    ReplyDelete