Pages

Thursday, September 6, 2018

The Chromebook Curse... #busedu

So, my school district went "one to one" on Chromebooks a couple of years ago. As a teacher in a very nice computer lab, we don't use them in my room, but I think it's a good idea to have in the general classroom. I teach Adobe applications, which don't run on Chromebooks, and a dual credit MS Office class, which must be articulated through the university and must use the full version to meet articulation requirements (so no Google Docs).

But, I am Google Certified and feel like Google Docs is great for students to know.

HOWEVER...

Our Computer Applications team (which feeds into my dual credit class) has had the worst time this year with students not knowing computer basics. Sadly, I have to blame this Chromebook situation. As students must have Computer Applications to take the higher level technology classes, I haven't run into the situation YET (I have Computer Applications next semester, though, so I am prepping myself).

Students are not adept at saving documents, understanding file extensions, basic file management, or even understanding where "Downloads" disappear to when they download something from the internet.

When we meet with our vertical collaboration team, we intend to try to find a method of attack for this issue, but it's been a rocky start to our Computer Applications classes, which use an online textbook/Mindtap and SAM. As students must download starter files, move them to a location other than the Downloads folder, save/rename to upload properly, etc., they are just lost getting through the first unit. And, they aren't struggling with PowerPoint; they are struggling with basic Windows things.

Anyone else noticing this? I guess this is the first year where students in junior high did not learn "the old way" and it's quite apparent. What I assumed were just known concepts are foreign to these students, which would be terrible if they entered business/industry with only knowledge of Google Docs (um... or college!).

Curious to see if any of you are experiencing a similar plight in your classrooms. Head back to my Facebook and let me know!

https://www.facebook.com/tonyabized

13 comments:

  1. I have run into the same problem! Students don't understand file management. IF they remember to save at all, they just save wherever it defaults to. Then if they switch computers they can't find their files. I have actually taught a week-long unit on file management to help combat this and sometimes they still don't get it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is exactly what I was going to say. I have even found that they don't understand the difference between saving on Google Drive versus saving on a computer/flash drive.

      Delete
  2. I have the same issue. My district is not one-to-one but my kids have never been taught to navigate Windows. I teach Graphic Design and they're downloading lots of starter files for me too. Inevitably, everything for the entire semester ends up in the Downloads folder and they can't find anything.

    I'm planning to create some instructional videos that explain it all and then putting them into EdPuzzle next year. The first week of school will be spent getting familiar with proper procedures for saving and naming files, navigating through files, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have seen the same issue. I also started to teach mouse skills again
    They don't know how to double click! They are used to touch screens and the mouse on their Chromebooks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was saying the same thing today. They do not understand file structure and want to walk away from the computer without logging off. They will get it . . .they always do. However, I think I am spending more and more time getting them going then I ever have before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! It has never taken us this long to get them started. It will fall into place and they will learn, but this (like many others things) has gotten pushed to the side (like keyboarding).

      Delete
    2. I am sure that we will face that issue this year and in coming years, Tonya. We just became a 1:1 school; in fact some Chromebooks are still being handed out today! I had already experienced the issue with Office applications versus Chromebooks. Thanks for the heads up.

      Delete
  5. I've definitely seen this trend. I've spent the last week going over operating systems, basic Windows, and file management. I stress that businesses won't use Google and they need computer app skills and the correct terminology. It's a challenge right now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have the same problem with the Google Chromebooks. I want to get kids ready for industry and only having Chromebooks is very difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  7. YESSSS!!!!!!!!I think that it is terrible that they are Google-fying kids and ignoring the computer basics. They have officially removed all computer labs from our schools this year and we are completely 1:1 with Chromebooks. So sad.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good blog! I really love how it is simple on my eyes and the data are well written. I am wondering how I might be notified whenever a new post has been made. I have subscribed to your RSS which must do the trick! Have a great day!
    ecommerce website development company

    website designing company in gurgaon

    website developmant company in gurgaon

    ReplyDelete
  9. I must admit that your post is really interesting. I have spent a lot of my spare time reading your content.
    fresh fruits and vegetables online

    ReplyDelete