Pages

Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Web Design Documentary for your class! @elefontpress #busedu

As I was looking for something to finish off my year in my advanced Web Design class, I ran across a documentary that details somewhat of the evolution of the web. I found it fascinating (and probably advanced students would as well... not a lot of bells and whistles as it is a documentary, but it features lots of important "web" people). What Comes Next Is the Future was created by Bearded founder Matt Griffin. It is the story of "Tim Berners-Lee’s creation – how it came to be, where it’s been, and where it’s going – as told by the people who build it."

What Comes Next Is the Future (2016) from Bearded Studio on Vimeo.


Of course, I feel like I LIVED this documentary. I decided to teach myself to code back in 1993 when I was in college. Back in the days of Mosaic and Webcrawler and Netscape. And, the video really talks about how the first WWW was more about delivering information. We didn't care so much about how it looked. Then, we did. Flash came, things got Flashy...

But, then devices and phones and big screens and small screens happened. Oh, and iPhones. Things changed. Designers were confused and fumbling.

As an incentive to get you to watch this video (watch it if you teach web design, especially if you are around my age in the 40-50s since you will really appreciate the history), I have created a viewing guide you can use with your class. I intend to divide the video into two days, probably. I want to have discussion before we begin and then some afterward about some of the topics.

Here's the viewing guide. It will prompt you to make a copy, so feel free to edit as you see fit. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment